Random Posts

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Budapest Gambit

This was going to be a post on the Budapest Gambit. The Budapest is rarely played at top-level, although US GM Arthur Bisguier has been known to play it occasionally. GM Boris Avrukh called the gambit “almost respectable” and doubts there is a refutation. GM Robert Byrne wrote pretty much the same thing when he featured a game with the Budapest in a Chess Life article a while back.

I’ve played it on occasion but found it to be something less than satisfactory. Years ago I had a book on it and tried it out in some correspondence games. It didn't work out too well. I tried it in OTB tournaments and it didn't work out too well. Recently I've been trying it in some real time games on the Internet. I’ve won most of the games but that’s because I’ve played it against weaker opponents and so any opening would have probably yielded the same results.

One of the best articles I’ve seen on the Budapest is the Wikipedia Article and you might want to check out the article form your own opinion. One thing I did discover is that after 3.dxe5 the Fajarowicz Variation 3...Ne4 has yielded better results but looking over my games with the Budapest, I found not a single one worth posting. This forces me to the conclusion the opening really isn’t worth playing so I’m not posting anything on it and you can move along as there is nothing to see in this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment